Monday, December 15, 2014

How Do People Celebrate the Winter Holidays?

Wonder #78

One way to celebrate the winter holiday is to decorate a Christmas tree. (Addy)

I think there are three different holidays that everyone knows, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and Christmas. (Julien)

One way to celebrate the winter holiday is to get creative, by decorating your house with lights. (Madelyn)

One way to celebrate winter holidays is spending time with family.  (Kaylie)

I think the best way to celebrate the winter holidays is to spend time with family.  (Allison)

I think one way to celebrate the winter holiday is to have Christmas with your family.  (Addison)

People also celebrate New Years.  (Ty)

One way to celebrate the winter holidays is to build things with snow.  (Maddox)

I think one way to celebrate the winter holidays is to have a holiday feast.  (Kayden)

Another thing that you can celebrate is Eid al-Fitr. (Leah and Khadeija)

Some people celebrate Kwanzaa.  (Fiona)

Some people also celebrate solstice.  (Henry)

I learned...

Hanukkah

I learned that Hanukkah starts today (Dec. 17th) and ends on Christmas Eve (December 24th). Hanukkah is 8 days long and they have 8 candles on the menorah, they light a candle each day. (Julien)

I learned that on the dreidel there are Jewish letters.  (Leah Boyd)

I learned that there are words on a dreidel but some people can't read them.  (Harley)

I learned that Hanukkah celebrates people fighting to protect the temple.  (Addison P.)

Kwanzaa

I learned for Kwanzaa they put out a cup for passed away family members.  (Maddox)

I learned that they have three colors for Kwanzaa and they are red, green and black. (Amani)

I learned for food during Kwanzaa they put out vegetables, fruit and corn.  (Danielle)

I learned that Kwanzaa always ends on January 1st.  (Leah Blais)

I learned that on Kwanzaa people give gifts to each other.  (Nick).

I learned every day of Kwanzaa is focused on a different theme.  There are seven days of Kwanzaa.  (Dakota)

I learned that during Kwanzaa people put books, and figures out on the table.  (Krystal)

New Years Eve 

I learned that in Mexico people wear red or yellow underwear to celebrate good luck on New Years Eve. (Kayden)

I learned that in Japan it is good luck to watch the first sun rise of the New Year.  (Fiona)

I learned that some families celebrate New Years and wait up until mid-night. (Devin)

I learned that people celebrate New Years in different ways, by staying up until mid-night to watch the ball drop.  (Addy and Maddox)

At New Years people like to make resolutions to say what they promise to do or one of their goals for the next year.  (Allison)

Christmas

I learned that people go to church to celebrate Jesus' birthday.  (Madelyn)

I learned that on Christmas people usually expect Santa Claus to come.  (Nick)

I learned on Christmas some people put out Christmas trees.  (Charlie)










No comments:

Post a Comment