Monday, November 17, 2014

Wonder of the Week 11.17 - Why Do We Eat Turkey on Thanksgiving?

Wonder #53


Why do we eat turkey on Thanksgiving?

I think we eat turkey on Thanksgiving because people might have thought it was good luck and thanks. (Julien)

I think we eat turkey on Thanksgiving because it is a tradition, we have just always done it! (Allison)

I think we eat turkey on thanksgiving because the Indians used to kill them. (Lucas)

I think we eat turkey on Thanksgiving because they stand for thanks. (Fiona)


Was turkey on the menu at the first Thanksgiving?

I don't think turkey was on the menu at the first Thanksgiving because no one knew about turkeys. (Kayden)

I don't think turkey was on the menu at the first Thanksgiving because not a lot of people shoot turkeys. (Addison)


How did turkey become the Thanksgiving bird?

I think turkey because the Thanksgiving bird because people eat turkey a lot. (Leah)

I think turkey because the Thanksgiving bird because it was honorable and it became the Thanksgiving bird. (Julien)


Can turkeys fly?

I think turkeys can not fly because they are too heavy for their wings to carry them.  (Madelyn)

I think turkeys can not fly because usually when you see a turkey they are not flying.  (Allison)

I think turkeys (wild turkeys) can fly but farm turkeys can not fly. (Henry)

I think turkeys can fly because their wings are too heavy! (Mario)


We Learned...

I learned that sixty five to seventy thousands turkey's are raised in a farm in Ohio. (Addison)

I learned that they don't kill the chicks when they are just born.  (Maddox)


Why do we eat turkey on Thanksgiving?

Was turkey on the menu at the first Thanksgiving?

How did turkey become the Thanksgiving bird?



Can turkeys fly?

We learned that wild turkey's need to fly to escape from predators and farm turkey's do not need to fly. (Fiona)


I learned that farm turkey's don't learn how to fly because they might fly away when people are trying to kill them.  (Allison)



No comments:

Post a Comment