Monday, November 3, 2014

Can Fairy Tales Be True? - Wonder of the Week (11.3 - 11.7)

Wonder 912 
Once upon a time…see? We told you that’s how today’s Wonder starts out! But this is no fairy tale. No, sir! There’s more than a hint of truth in today’s Wonder of the Day.


Do you like fairy tales? Who doesn’t? What’s not to like? Princesses, castles, ogres, evil villains…fairy tales have it all!  
Of course, they’re just made-up tales, right? There aren’t really princesses and castles and evil villains, are there?


Well…you might say, “Of course not!” But let’s think about this a bit first. We know that there are real princesses in the world. And there are castles, too. Evil villains?  
Yes, we have those, too. Ogres? Maybe not…but maybe there’s some truth behind those fairy tales, after all.





Can fairy tales be true? 

I think fairy tales are not true because people make them up.  (Leah) 

I think fairy tales are true because a long time ago princesses were real.  (Kayden) 

I think fairy tales are true because some fairy tales are legends and legends are true. (Julien) 

I think fairy tales are true because they take place in the mid-evil times.  (Maddox) 

I think fairy tales are true because they can be based on a real story.  (Fiona)  


Was Snow White a real person? 

I think Snow White was a real person because dwarfs are real.  (Addison) 


Can you make up your own true fairy tale? 

I think you can make up your own true fairy tale because you can make it up from your life.  (Henry) 

I think you can make up your own true fairy tale because if you put your mind to it anything can happen. (Kayden)

I think you can make up your own true fairy tale because people write fairy tales all the time. (Madelyn)



I learned...

I learned that giants are in stories (folktales).  Kelsey

I learned that it is impossible to know if fairy tales are true.  Julian

I learned that there is usually a form of magic in fairy tales.  (Addy)

I learned that fairy tales have been popular for children for over a thousand years.  (Allison) 

I learned that some fairy tales can be short in length.  (Kaylie) 

I learned that fairy tales have been around since children worked in mines.  (Henry) 

I learned that fairy tales can be based off of people's lives.  (Dakota) 

I learned that mythical creatures are in fairy tales.  (Maddox) 

I learned that castles used to be real and are still real.  (Addison) 

I learned that there is usually some kind of enchantment, magic or talking animal in a fairy tale.  (Devin) 








No comments:

Post a Comment