Monday, October 27, 2014

Wonder of the Week -- When Is Sugar Too Much of a Good Thing?

Wonder 388


Do you like sugar? Or is that just a silly question? Few, if any, people will say that they don’t like sugar. Maybe the better question would be: How much do you like sugar?
Scientists know that human tongues have special receptors that respond to sweet tastes. In fact, it seems that humans are born to like sugar.
Researchers don’t know exactly why we seem to be born with a sweet tooth, but it’s a common desire that most of us seem to share. 

Questions 

When is sugar too much of a good thing?

Is it easy to avoid sugar? 

Should sugar be completely eliminated from children’s diets?
I think..
I think sugar is too much of a good thing when you eat cookies or cake every single day.  (Kayden)
I think sugar is too much of a good thing when you eat candy every single day. (Leah)
I think sugar is too much of a good thing when you eat too much sugar so then you would be use to eating so much sugar.  (Allison) 
I think sugar is too much of a good thing when it clogs your blood pipes.  (Henry)
I think it isn't easy to avoid sugar because their is a lot of things that have sugar in them.  (Addy)

I think it isn't easy to avoid sugar because if their like food that has a lot of sugar and you really really like it you eat it again and again.  (Madelyn)

I think it is easy to avoid sugar because you can just stopping eating sugar. (Kaylie)

I think it isn't easy to avoid sugar because a lot of foods have sugar in them that you love and want to eat all the time.  (Dakota)

I think we should not completely eliminate sugar from our diet because all this high fructose corn syrup stuff is all chemicals and they try to use it on rats.  (Devin)

I think you should not eliminate all the sugar from your diet because you need sugar, just not a lot of it. (Kayden)

I think you should eliminate sugar from your diet because it is not healthy for you.  (Addison)

I learned...

I learned that you should not eliminate all sugar from your diet. (Julien)

I learned that you should not eliminate all sugar from your diet because some fruits and milk have sugar in them.  (Dakota)

I learned you should stay away from coffee because it has a lot of sugar.  (Allison)

I learned you should stay away from cake because it is high in sugar.  (Mario)

I learned you should stay away from foods that are packaged.  (Maddox)

I learned sugar provides energy.  (Lucas)

I learned that you should have a little bit of sugar (in moderation).  (Addy)

I learned that raspberries have sugar in them. (Leah)

I learned that too much sugar can cause diabetes.  (Dakota)

I learned that you can stay healthy and have a small amount of sugar in your diet. (Kayden)

I learned that if you eat too much sugar you can get health problems. (Maddox)


No comments:

Post a Comment