Monday, October 20, 2014

Wonder of the Week -- What is the Best After-School Snack?

Wonder # 177 

Is there anything quite like an afternoon snack? For hungry children at the end of a school day, snacks provide an important energy boost when homework or a piano lesson or soccer practice looms. In today’s busy world, parents want to offer nutritious after-school snacks that will help tide their children over until dinner time.
For years, parents were urged to discourage children from eating between meals. To keep young bodies and minds performing well over the course of a long day filled with school, homework and extracurricular activities, though, nutritionists eventually saw the need for snacks throughout the day.
As children will gladly tell you, youngsters need a little something in their bellies to tide them over between meals, and older kids often need extra energy for sports practice and other activities. But what should children be eating at snack time? That’s a good question!

I think the best after-school snack is strawberries because they are juicy and really sweet. (Kayden)
I think the best after-school snack is an apple because they are very healthy and they are easy to eat on the go.  (Addy) 
I think the best after-school snack is a healthy snack because it gives you extra energy.  (Allison)
I think the best after-school snack is fruit or vegetables because they are healthy for you.  (Julien)   
I think the best after-school snack is blueberries because they are sweet and healthy.  (Madelyn) 
I think the best after-school snack is vegetables because they have lots of protein.  (Kaylie)  
I think the best after-school snack is fruit because it is healthy.  (Leah) 
I think the best after-school snack is pomegranate because they have over 100 seeds. (Henry) 
I think the best after-school snack is cheese and crackers because they go really good together. (Dakota)
I think the best after-school snack is animal crackers because they are good to eat before dinner.  (Addison) 

I learned.... 

I learned that good after-school snacks will help you do your homework. (Julien)

I learned that good after-school snacks make you run faster. (Mario)

I learned that you can make your own healthy after-school snack by taking an unhealthy thing and using healthy ingredients.  (Fiona)

I learned that a fruit kabob could be a healthy after-school snack.  (Addison)

I learned that fruit are a good after-school snack. (Maddox)

I learned that vegetables are a good after-school snack. (Allison)

I learned that candy and chips are high in sugar and they are NOT a good after-school snack.  (Kayden)



No comments:

Post a Comment