Friday, January 24, 2014

Wonder of the Week: What is the Iditarod? Where does the Iditarod Take Place?

http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/what-is-a-dog-sled/


What is the Iditarod? 


I think the Iditarod has to do with sled dogs. (Spencer) 

I think the Iditarod is a long race were people get pulled by sled dogs. (Dana) 

I think the Iditarod is something that happened in Alaska because some sled dogs are in Alaska. (Madison) 

I think the Iditarod is for two things, one thing is to race with slide dogs the other thing is for sled dogs to help you travel. (Roma)

What other job do sled dogs have?

I think sled dogs can pull people that are blind. (Nathan)

I think that's like dogs can also help people get around and really snowy places. (Dana)

I think that sled dogs can help people I think it's really snowing out and you can't use your car to travel. (Peyton) 

I think that's like dogs can be used to help move materials for example at the train got stuck in the cold weather a sled dog could come to the rescue. (Talan)

I think that's like dogs could be used to carry supplies, like airplanes are used to carry supplies. (Ilona) 

I think that's like dogs could also be used to travel north because there is no roads there. (Spencer) 


I learned...


I learned that they race over a 1,000 miles across Alaskan wildnerness. (Nick)

I learned the Iditarod is a dog sledding race that goes on for 9 days. (Jayden) 

I learned sometimes you can crash your sled. (Peyton) 

I learned it can be 55 below zero and they still race. (Caitlin) 

I learned that up to 16 huskies can be on a team. (Madison) 

I learned that you can drop a dog because a dog could get sick or tired. (Tucker and Roma)

I learned the person who drives the dog sled is called a musher. (Summer) 

I learned the Iditarod is the most popular sporting event in Alaska. (Luke)

I learned it can drop below 100 degrees ferenhiet during the race. (Spencer) 

I learned the race is 1,161 miles of trail. (Hunter) 

I learned it can take 9 to 15 days to finish the Iditarod. (Dana) 



No comments:

Post a Comment