Monday, November 18, 2013

Why Do We Eat Turkey on Thanksgiving?

The history of the Thanksgiving turkey is a bit of a mystery. Nobody knows exactly how this particular bird earned a place of honor at the table each November, but historians have a few different theories. Thanks to letters and records kept by early American settlers, we know that when the colonists sat down to dine with the Wampanoag Indians, beef and fowl were on the menu. This historical meal would later become known as the first Thanksgiving.

I think we eat turkey on Thanksgiving because that's the time of year turkeys are out. (Spencer)

I think we eat turkey on Thanksgiving because it's a special kind of meat that people ate over the years. (Madison) 

I think we eat turkey on Thanksgiving because it's a holiday. (Hunter) 

I think we eat turkey on Thanksgiving because it's a tradition. (Ilona)

On Thanksgiving I go to my grandpa's in Boston. (Meili)

On Thanksgiving I decorate the chistmas tree with my cousins. (Gavin)

On Thanksgiving I have turkey and cranberry sauce.  My favorite thing to eat in Thanksgiving is cranberry sauce. (Nathan) 

On Thanksgiving I go to my friends house. (Xander) 

Now I know 

Now I know that no one really knows the history of why we eat turkey on Thanksgiving. (Ms.LaRose)

I learned that sometimes turkey's can just drop dead of a heart attack because of the loud noise from a jet. (Nadja) 

I learned that ple keep turkey's in a farm to keep them safe from diseases. (Iris)

I learned that their is no real answer but the theory is that Queen Elizabeth was so excited that the Spanish ship sunk on its way to attack England that Queen Elizabeth ordered another goose.  (Spencer) 

I learned that they keep turkey in the farm for 21 weeks.  (Madison) 

I learned that turkey's can run 20 miles per hour. (Peyton) 

One thing I learned is the loose skin that hangs downs on a a turkeys neck is the wattle. (Luke) 

I learned the Bald Eagle may be Americas bird 364 days a year, but turkey's have one day to themselves - - Thanksgiving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment